Monday, June 06, 2005

Jimmy and Willie

Jimmy and Willie are my parents names.
Married in September 1956. I guess they
loved each other at that time. Why else
would 2 people get married...yes, yes,
I know baby on the way but, that was not
the case. She was not pregnant when they
got married. My father Jimmy (James)
drank heavily before the marriage. This
continued after the marriage. I still
don't understand why she married him.
I did ask her that very question once and
her reply was I thought I could get him to
quit. Ok Mama was my reply.

Mama that's what we called my Mom. My 2
siblings and I...it was Mama.

Nine months after marriage my sister came
along. Mom got pregnant on their honeymoon.

My dad was in the navy. I do not remember
the details of why he got out of the navy.
After he was out he worked about 25 miles
from home at the "bleachery". He rode to work
with 2 other men. One day when either going or
coming while a front seat passenger and saw
they were about to wreck he braced his knees
on the dash. This impacted the rest of his
life. His knees forced his hips backwards,
crushing both hips. He would never be the
same again. Was told he may never walk or
work again.

This happened before I was born.

Surgery and a long hospitilization later...
he walked with crutches. Always those damn
crutches. As a result he drank and drank.
Unable to work....unheard of to get disability.
That took 2 years.

My Mom worked full time, took care of a baby
girl. I don't know if my brother was around
as yet. Took care of our house and all of
his needs. His bed was in our living room...
a hospital bed for quite some time.

I was born in 1960 at our closest hospital
about 20 miles from our home. Thankfully
the doctor that delivered me allowed people
to pay him in ways other than money.
Dr. Griggs was his name. I know that people
often gave him chickens, eggs and gosh knows
what else for medical services payment.

Doc Griggs was an honest man, a kind man and
a friend to all he cared for.

The first memory of my daddy, I believe I was
about five years old. He picked me up and put
my face under the kitchen sink, face up water on.
I remember hearing my Mama scream at him. Still to
this day I do not know WHY?? Other than he was drunk.
Why would a dad do this to his own child?

My Grandmother (dads Mom) died when I was 7 years old.
There were wonderful memories tied that sweet kind
woman, my Grandma Ethel. She lived next door to us.
Mama, Grandma Ethel me and my 2 siblings went
to our baptist church every Sunday. Grandma did not
drive. She rode with us to church to the grocery
store. Mama took her every where she need to go.
Her husband my Grandfather died before my
parents were married.

In may of 1967 Grandma Ethel died. Brain tumor.
I will never forget the Sunday morning we went
to pick her up for church and she came out dressed
in work clothes...a dress and bonnet with a hoe
in her hand. She was going to work in her flowers.
She did not know it was Sunday although Mama
talked with her the day before and said she would
pick her up the next morning for church.
I think all of our hearts sank that Sunday
morning. My sister Leigh talked about this
with me as an adult and she being older
remembered some other things Grandma had been
doing that was off kilter.

They found a brain tumor. When I don't know
or how long she lived after I don't remember.

I do remember than when she died my daddy may
as well have died with her. He made our life a
living hell after that. With his drinking it was not
wonderful anyway. Mama did the best she could.

It took me many years into my adult life to
fully realize just how abusive that man really
was. He beat my Mother, he beat all 3 of his
children. I don't mean spank....beatings and
always when he was sober with the exception
of the sink at 5 years old.

Christmas after Grandma died...Nonexistent.
Well ok it did exist. The first year after she
died at Christmas all 3 of us got a new pair
of PJ's and one hundred dollars each.
I was 8 years old...did not know what one
hundred dollars was let alone what to do with it.
Damn you man, I wanted toys. My very own toys.
Not ones that was handed down from siblings...
new toys to call my very own.

The only good thing I remember this man (daddy)
doing for me was having a pond built. That was
fantastic. The many hours I spent there were
better than heaven to me as a kid. It was
my escape, my out. Time alone with out him there...
no beatings just fishing...alone me myself and I.

More to come...just later....

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch. I'm so sorry sweetie. I have many similar memories. Isn't it interesting there are so many of us? Oddly enough, from the pain comes this community of souls. I am always stunned when I learn how many people lived through abuse. Sad...to be so many. Comforting...to know I'm not alone. Peace.

Sunday, June 05, 2005 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Oh Jan,
That had to be hard to write. I don't have very many memories of my father, he died when I was 8. The memories that I do have are all good. So, I'm sorry for your unhappy memories.

Monday, June 06, 2005 9:35:00 AM  
Blogger Jaded said...

It's tough to recall years of abuse, but especially at the hands of a parent. I've been there, only with my bi-polar mother. It takes much strenght to write about it so openly.

I heard something once that stuck with me for some reason... "A woman marries a man hoping he'll change, and a man marries a woman hoping she doesn't." I don't know why women always feel like we can change someone for the better. Maybe it's that sort of nurturing thing we often do. It's a story that I've heard countless times, and it almost never turns out well.

Thank you for your continued prayers and good wishes for my mom. You and Annie have been so supportive, and I can't thank you enough.

~S

Monday, June 06, 2005 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger Carie said...

i don't remember my childhood, but I know my father was a drunk, and still is, he has never hurt me physically, but emotionally he did, I would wait for hours for him to pick me up, telling my mom he would come when she said he wouldn't, I nebver gave up...when I was 17 and pregnant I told him and he said I ruined my life, that my mom getting pregnant drove him to drink...well I think I sort of gave up that day...but I still try, I still call him, and email him, I always let him knowI love him...I hope it helps just a little...I do remember one night while I was at his house he came home at 2 am from the graveyard shift and he thought I was asleep...he kissed my forehead and cried, he kept saying he was sorry, so I guess he really does

Monday, June 06, 2005 3:14:00 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Thank you all for your replies.
It's no longer painful. I got over that a long time ago.
Forgiveness has also been done, although not while he was alive. That came many years later.
I still at times call him a SOB and believe that is my right. I do love the man just hate what he did to his wife and kids.
I felt it time to put it on paper, or computer.
So few people know the pain that so many endure in their lives.

I am sorry for the pain that others have endured. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Monday, June 06, 2005 11:20:00 PM  
Blogger lightfeather said...

Jan,
I am so sorry this happened to you. When you were young. A child who did not deserve that. When you should have been experiencing total joy and love. but now you have it! At last!!

Now I know too, how you know what is going on at my house. I have had to put the move on the back burner. More important things to take care of right now. My time will come.

Thank you for sharing!
Love you,
Lightfeather

Friday, June 10, 2005 12:49:00 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Thanks Jan for your openess. As weird as it sounds, I had a dream about you and Annie last night! We were at some restaurant - I don't know. It had to be the General Tsao's Chicken I ate before bed.

Anyway, I know my blog is may come across as hateful to some - and especially to you and Annie. Please realize, I don;t even know you - but I feel I do. I really love you both as friends - only by those little pictures and thoughts.

Please remember, whatever I say, I love people for who they are: people. My father is an alcoholic - and when he drinks I can;t even talk to him - nor will I. He knows I do not approve of his alcoholism - for it destroyed our family, my mother - and all of us. But he knows I love him more than anything. I called him today to say hi. He is not a Christian, he doesn't believe he has a problem with booze - and one time, even after reconciling with him, he told me, "Don;t ever blame me for you becoming an f------- faggot!" He was drunk - and I never blame him - yet he did play a part.

I do hope to be friends. Keep writing - I enjoy reading - and BELIEVE ME - I can relate to so much. I'll probably share more about my dad another time. Got to go put Chloe to sleep.

Hugs to you and Jan - I know she's mad at me - tell her not to be. Blessings...

Sunday, June 12, 2005 8:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home