Thursday, May 12, 2005

Gone Fishing

My favorite past time growing up was fishing.
I could spend hours at our pond. It did not matter if
I caught a fish or not. Fishing was my escape, my out.
It allowed me peace.

I was raised in a small South Carolina town on 20 acres
of land. My dad had a pond dug when I was very young.
No fishing allowed for about 5 years...the fish had to grow.
I fished and fished and fished.

After all the chores were done....feeding the cows, gardening.
And, I do mean garden.....one acre of it. 100 tomato plants,
enough corn when pulled filled the bed of a pick up truck.
Another acre of six week peas...the good part of the peas
was that my 2 siblings and I got to keep the profit from selling
them.

After all this was done it was off to the pond for me. Fishing was
my thing....neither my brother nor sister enjoyed fishing. I was alone,
me, the pond and the fish.

After my dad died my Mom and I fished often. She loved it as well.
Our little dog often went with us....she just sat in the boat
and enjoyed the ride.

Many, many fish were cleaned and eaten....bass and bream...yum.

After my Mom died in 1997, my stepdad continued to live in the house.
By this time I had moved out but, only lived 30 minutes away.
So, still much time was spent fishing.

There were many great times at that pond with my Mom.
She was my best friend and fishing buddy.

Annie the kids and I went fishing there one day.
Annie never got to meet my Mom...I regret this.
They would have gotten along well...a Mother in law
so to speak.

Any way, back to fishing.....
Annie and I got into the boat....it's a 12 foot heavy
aluminum boat. We paddled around the pond...
me fishin, Annie watching, enjoying the smile on
my face. She does not like to fish. It was a time of
remembrance. Stories of the great times my
Mom and I had at that place.
A place I now shared with the love of my life, Annie.

I was proud to be able to share those memories
with her, as she was to hear and see them.

Of the 3 kids John was the only one that got into the
boat with us....didn't last long. He wanted out. Off to
the bank we went. I think they spent their time exploring
more than fishing. It was their first fishing trip. I loved
watching them....The facial grimaces when watching me
put a worm on the hook. Katie...ooohhhh that poor worm.
Hilary...oooooohhhhhhh nasty. John just watched.

Annie sat in the boat with me...enjoying her surroundings.
We were at peace....together.

10 Comments:

Blogger author said...

As we discussed, you have a lot to say. Years of silence to the world in general to let out.
I have been the lucky ear for many of these stories and knew all along that you could type them up.

The fear of running out of topics is never part of my day as you know all too well. Once faced with that blank page, more often than not something comes to you. The list of possible topics I suggested will work as an outline for future posts. Those come to me at odd times. In the shower, on the drive to work.
Something I see or hear will trigger a topic.

Some you may be excited to post.
Others will take time to be able to share.
This is your space.
There is no audience... they come as they will as an added bonus. Treat it as it is intended, for honest reflection, growth and sometimes a spot to post a humorous rant.

I am proud of you for finding your voice.
Love, Your fred/annie

Thursday, May 12, 2005 4:38:00 PM  
Blogger for_the_lonely said...

Beautiful post, Jan! See, you CAN write, girl! You really DO have it in ya! Keep up the great writing!

Sarah

Friday, May 13, 2005 2:59:00 AM  
Blogger Jaded said...

I loved the story! My dad used to take me fishing when I was a little girl. We'd use bread for bait because the worms were too much for a 4 year old me. We'd make the bread ball the night before and put it in the freezer, and he'd wake me while it was still dark outside. It felt like we were sneaking away and sharing a secret that no one else could possibly find out. Stuff like that is magical to a little girl.

Thanks for making me think of that today.

Friday, May 13, 2005 10:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think fishing is the most calming thing you can do, if you are a patient person. I am not a patient person, but I do enjoy it. The water rippling when the bait and hook hits the water. The time sitting there waiting on that little pull on the line.

I think it is wonderful. I have heard Annie speak of you wishing. It makes her happy to see you so happy.

Friday, May 13, 2005 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

Thanks bleu girl...You know you are special to me.
Yes, I am quiet...but more posts to come...just don't know what yet.

Friday, May 13, 2005 8:54:00 PM  
Blogger biscuit said...

Fishing! When i lived in florida I had a pickup truck with a gun rack.. but instead of a gun I kept my rod.. sometimes I would just pull over and cast off into a canal.. or go down to the pier..
I miss it a lot.. I tried to fish a couple weekends ago, but I just couldn't put a hook through the minnows.. I tossed them all into the water to start a new life..
It bums me out cause it is so relaxing and I loved to do it..
may have to switch to lures.. and try again..
Glad to see another transplanted georgian round these parts!
sorry to hear about your back.. I just had spine surgery.. so I do feel your pain.. if ya haven't ever had back pain, well it's hard to understand.. there is nothing quite like it.. If ya ever need a great neurosurgeon.. I know just the one! just kidding.. I hope to the gods that yours isn't as bad..
keep bloggin.. I'm gonna bookmark ya..
biscuit

Saturday, May 14, 2005 12:04:00 AM  
Blogger for_the_lonely said...

How the heck can I forget to mention howmuch I love fishing???? Funny thing is, though, I can but a worm in half with my nails, bait the hook, cast it, etc, yet I will NOT touch the fish. I think I am afraid that their gills and scales will cut me! I also do not like to fish with minnows...go figure!

Sarah

Saturday, May 14, 2005 1:22:00 AM  
Blogger lightfeather said...

I am not a fisherperson but I used to love going fishing with my husband, sitting along the rocks and feeding jelly beans to the squirrels and reading. Such peace. I wonder when we stopped that. I wonder why we stopped that. I wonder if we could find that again?

Great post!

Saturday, May 14, 2005 11:26:00 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Some of my fondest memories are of fishing. Never ate them, always threw them back in. Thanks Jan for reminding me!

Saturday, May 14, 2005 3:59:00 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

THanks everyone for your replies about my fishing post. It's relaxing. Does not matter if you touch the fish or bait....the fishing is what matters....and pure enjoyment.

Chris...message delivered. Look forward to hearing about the concert.

Saturday, May 14, 2005 7:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home