Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The Day We Met

A beautiful warm sunny February day. Nice day for a drive.
It's valentine's weekend....February 1999. I left my South
Carolina home around 10:00am for the 5 1/2 hour drive.

It was a meeting of women on an e-mail list that Annie
owned. She invited these wonderful ladies to her home.
I was included.

Annie and I met on line. I had just come out of the closet.
Searching was what I was doing.....looking, wanting
answers to questions I did not even know what the
questions were.

I found those answers through a kind gentle space and
a kind gentle woman. The space....Womens Space..
the woman....Annie. She offered me assistance.
Provided answers, information was her highway.
I was new not only to computers but to being a
lesbian.....

I originally bought a computer to fill empty space.
My Mom had recently died...I didn't know what to
do with myself. I had withdrawn from friends and
family. I was depressed.

This machine.....the computer opened up a new
world for me. I found people who felt as I felt.
People who believe as I believe. Normal everyday
people with the same hurts, same cares, same
worries, and same desires as me.

I found womens space.....a wondeful group of women.
Owned and operated by Annie. She kept everyone in
line. No offensive words about list members....kindness
please. Well, I was offensive to someone. Don't
remember to whom or about what now. Annie set me
straight....thankfully she didn't boot me from the list.

I e-mailed an apology to her and asked for her phone
number. That began a friendship.

I was invited to a womens space gathering. Hence my
5 1/2 drive from South Carolina to Georgia on a beautiful
sunny warm February day. Friday February 13 no less.

I have always liked the number 13....and today would
be no exception.....

As I arrived on her street....fourth house on the left....
I saw this mountain of a sloped driveway....no fear
here. I turned right into that sloped driveway.
Sunglasses on, sunroof open.

The first thing I saw was Annie sitting on her front
porch rocking. What a wonderful sight....what a
beautiful person. I got out of my car...walked
up that hugh sloped driveway...she stood up...
walked to the porch and said....
" Well Jan Hicks"
I said
" Well Annie Burke"

We still say that to each other over 6 years later.
I walked into her house with the smell of pound cake.
It was still in the oven. We began talking...her
kids arrived home from school...she introduced me.

She asked me if I would watch the cake in the oven....
she had an errand she had to run....Sure I can do that.

That afternoon was wonderful...she was wonderful.
I felt comfortable.

The other guests started to arrive. Some that afternoon
some the next day on Saturday....But, not before
a tour of her lovely immiculate home.

We went out onto the deck off the kitchen...
she leaned over and kissed me....it was returned.

It was truely a wonderful weekend. Getting to know
a little of Annie and other guests. And letting her get
to know a little of me....

I visited often in the next 2 months...with each visit
I brought more of me into her home.

On april 16...we brought all of me into her home...
soon to become OUR HOME and OUR FAMILY.

10 Comments:

Blogger author said...

What she didn't tell you is that I was actually to meet another
list memebr that day.
I chose Jan hands down immediately.
I knew she was the woman I had looked for all my life.

What she also doesn't say is that when we moved her here; I had to fly to SC to help her pack and drive the expected lesbian u-haul to Georgia.
She was very late getting to the airport.
I had a one way ticket to SC.
No money to buy a ticket home if
she had changed her mind.
So I paced and waited.

She finally arrived.
I tried to be very upset...but her smile won me over.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 12:17:00 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Lovely story Jan, thanks for sharing. Hope you're feeling better! Isn't it a relief to have that nagging pain gone?

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 1:26:00 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Thanks Cindy....and I have to agree...It's quite a lovely story.
Annie is a lovely lady.

I am feeling much better today. No more nagging pain...or nausea.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 3:15:00 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Jan,
When I woke up from my gall bladder surgery I was amazed at how great I felt. The little cuts were a blessing, because that nagging pain was gone. I put up with that pain for about 6 months before I even consulted a doctor about it.
I'm so glad that you are feeling better!
And I agree, Annie is pretty special. I'm very glad that I've met both of you.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 6:31:00 PM  
Blogger biscuit said...

hey jan/fred..
sweet story.. glad you are feeling better.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 11:29:00 PM  
Blogger lightfeather said...

Oh man, I am such a sucker for a good love story and this one has all of the perfect elements! I just find the love you share to be such a special gift.

Thursday, May 19, 2005 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger for_the_lonely said...

What a cool love story...I had that instant attraction to my wife. You just KNOW when it is the right person! I am so happy you found your Annie/Fred. You two are such an awesome couple! :)

Sarah

Thursday, May 19, 2005 1:42:00 PM  
Blogger meelo said...

what a truly remarkable story. the love you share is strong enough to overcome all obstacles. you both deserve the life of happiness you've built together. congratulations.

Friday, May 20, 2005 12:04:00 AM  
Blogger Jaded said...

Beautiful story, thanks for sharing that.

I met my husband online in February of '95. We were married 10 months later...almost 9 and a half years so far. When it's right, ya just know.

Friday, May 20, 2005 3:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, every time I here that story, I like it more and more. It is so great. I am thankful that you found each other. You were so meant to be. I love the way that you both look at each other. I love the way that you say sweet things to each other. You are the perfect couple. Just think, these computers are good for something.

Even though you were not able to have that child you wanted, you have these wonderful three children that love you and adore you as your own mother and they would not have it another way.

Also I have adopted you as my sissy too and I so happy!!!!!!

Saturday, May 21, 2005 10:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home